Friday, February 27, 2009

Virgin Blog


Hey out there. Starting this blog I feel a bit like Meg Ryan in "You've Got Mail". She says, "Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Valuable, but small. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven’t been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I’ve read in a book, when shouldn’t it be the other way around? I don’t really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So, goodnight, dear void."

I have had a block about starting to post. Perfectionism being the bane of my existence, I had difficulty starting. See, it has to be just right. I don't want to mess up this "virgin blog" with a rotten beginning. Taking a deep breath, I am trying to let go and just make a start no matter how inane I may sound.

A bit about me.

I have atypical Meniere's Disease. It is a disease of the inner ear, and is a disease of the devil. See, it won't kill me. I look no different than I did before my diagnosis, I am not really in very much pain, so it is hard for people to understand how miserable I am at times. I have rotten balance, dizziness, hearing, pressure and tinnitus ( sometimes called ringing in the ears).

There is no known cause for this disease. Without a cause, it is difficult for science to come up with a true treatment. As miserable as I feel at times, I am blessed. Other people have much worse symptoms than I.

I promise this blog will not only be about the scourge of my life. In fact, I want to focus only lightly on my disease, and want to focus more on the people and things I love.

I love my family, 3 kids (2 sons, one daughter), one daughter-in-law, one wonderful husband of 25 years, mother, aunt, sisters, brother, nieces, nephews and cousins.

I love books, including so called "juvenile fiction".

I have an obsession with dishes, old dishes, new dishes, casual dishes, fancy dishes, holiday dishes.

I cook. I cook a lot. I have always loved cooking since I was a child. I make most things from scratch. What I used to do from love, I now do from necessity as part of the treatment for my Meniere's includes following a low sodium diet. Most convenience and take-out meals are no-nos for me.

I struggle with weight and fitness. I have lost 40 lbs in the past 20 months, but need to lose more. The picture is from my No 1 son's wedding and I weighed about 25 lbs more than I do now. That is Mr Arizona (Mr A) next to me.

I am trying to learn photography and will post my attempts at documenting my world.

Well here is my beginning Dear Void, I hope you like it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sweet funny comment about the binky situation. That's hilarious about your son. Sometimes I wish I could be as brash as kids, just to appreciate the reactions of those around me!

    I love your blog, you already have a great voice coming through. Keep it up! And keep in touch! I'll add you to my peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keli, if you see this provide a link to your blog. I can't find you again. I was so excited to read your posting. Someone actually read my blog!! I haven't had the nerve to tell friends and family I am blogging yet, don't want them to feel they have to read me. LOL! Thanks for the encouragement! Lomelindi

    ReplyDelete